It’s important to use properly licensed material in your previews. Many authors are looking for ways to comply with the Envato content policy while also wanting to maintain a high quality standard for their item previews. That's where watermarked assets become valuable.
1. What is a watermarked asset?
A watermark on an asset is embedded information used to identify the owner of the asset. Its purpose is to protect the copyright of that item. For example, an image may have a watermarked layer displaying the name of the photographer or a music track may have a sound bite layered over the actual song's tracks. These watermarks are be removed once the item is legally purchased.
2. Can I use watermarked preview image, videos, or other files from the Envato market and use it in my own market file preview?
Yes, you may use watermarked Envato marketplace files without asking permission, so long as the watermarked image is only shown in the item preview, and so long as you credit the author of the image and link back to the original item page in your description.
You are explicitly allowed the use of watermarked marketplace assets without requiring permission by our terms of usage at the end of clause 15:
"You agree that a Seller may use a watermarked preview of your Product in a preview of another Product without requiring permission from you, without violating your copyright and without providing monetary compensation to you. The Seller must credit such usage by providing a link to your Product."
You can read more at this link.
3. What are some watermarked assets that I can use in my preview?
Remember, when you use a watermarked preview in your own item preview, you must provide a credit to the author and a linkback.
4. If I buy an image from PhotoDune via the Regular or Extended license, can I use the same image for multiple projects or multiple marketplace files that I create/sell?
Yes. You may re-use the image you purchase multiple times, for example in multiple item previews.
5. Can I use unlicensed (watermarked or otherwise) content from other sites in my item previews?
No, not unless you are getting it from a service which specifically grants this right. To be clear, most stock photo services do not give you this right. You are responsible for ensuring you have the correct license for all uses on the Marketplaces.
Watermarked Previews in Item Previews