An error message while installing or activating a WordPress theme usually means:
- The incorrect file(s) were uploaded
- The item you have purchased is not for WordPress
The exact error message may vary, however it will typically include the words, 'Broken Theme' or 'Stylesheet Missing’.
Confirm You Purchased a WordPress Theme
- Check you have purchased a WordPress theme or plugin. The items compatibility is listed on the item page (below the buyer rating on the right).
Check you are using Wordpress.org
- The fundamental difference between WordPress.com VS WordPress.org is that WordPress.org is self hosted and allows you to install custom themes and plugins.
Read the Included Documentation and Item Comments
- The included documentation (typically a PDF or HTML file) will contain specific installation information about your item.
Read the item Comments - your question may have already been answered!
Upload the Correct Files to WordPress
There are 2 options to download the WordPress files:
- All files and documentation
- Extract the contents of the zip file.
- Installable WordPress files only
- Upload the Installable WordPress file admin area.
- Log in to your WordPress admin area
- Browse to Appearance > Themes
- Click on ‘Add New’
- Click ‘Upload’
- Browse and select the theme zip file to ‘Upload’
Upload Via FTP
- WordPress files can also be uploaded manually via FTP.
- Upload the files to /wp-content/themes/ folder on your server.
- Login to your WordPress admin area to change the theme.
- Check out the guide on WordPress.org here.
More Help & Support