A common issue that can occur when installing a WordPress themes is “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.” error message being displayed when uploading or activating the theme.
One of the reasons you may receive this error is if you have uploaded the incorrect file. You have 2 options for downloading your theme.
1. Installable WordPress file only. (below)
2. All files and documentation (full zip folder). You will need to extract and locate the installable WordPress file. (below)
Please make sure you are uploading only the installable theme which is called NameOf Theme.zip. If you upload ALL these files you will receive an error.
Upload the Installable WordPress file admin area
- Log in to your WordPress admin area.
- Browse to Appearance > Themes.
- Click on ‘Add New’.
- Click ‘Upload’.
- Browse and select the theme zip file to ‘Upload’.
Upload Via FTP
- WordPress files can also be uploaded manually via FTP.
- Upload the files to /wp-content/themes/ folder on your server.
- Login to your WordPress admin area to change the theme.
- Check out the guide on WordPress.org here.
More Help & Support
Confirm You Purchased a WordPress Theme
- Check you have purchased a WordPress theme. The items compatibility is listed on the item page (below the buyer rating on the right).
Check which Wordpress you are using
- Only Wordpress.org and Business plans on Wordpress.com allow you to install custom themes and plugins. Wordpress.com alone does not. Please see the following articles for more information
- WordPress.com VS WordPress.org
- Wordpress.com Business Plans
Read the Included Documentation and Item Comments
- The included documentation (typically a PDF or HTML file) will contain specific installation information about your item.
- Template Kits must be imported using a plugin and cannot be imported via the WordPress Import feature. To resolve this, please navigate to our guide available here.
Contact the Author
Contact the author of the item for support.